Black Bean ChiliServes 8
- 2 cups black beans (dried) cleaned and washed
- 2 yellow onions (medium), coarse chop
- 2 red bell peppers, coarse chop
- 3 green bell peppers, coarse chop
- 2 jalapenos or 1 pasilla pepper, minced (optional)
- 4 stalks of celery, coarse chop
- ½ bunch of cilantro, coarse chop
- 3 TBSP whole cumin seeds
- 3 TBSP Mexican oregano (dried)
- 6 TBSP paprika
- 1 TBSP sea salt
- ½ cup oil of your choice
Step #1: Cook beans on medium high, cover, and occasionally stir. When they’re soft but still whole, strain them and retain the liquid.
Step #2: In a larger pot that will hold all the ingredients including the beans, add oil, onions, peppers, and celery to the pot over medium heat. Add jalapenos or pasilla here for heat.
Step #3: Toast the whole cumin seeds and Mexican oregano together in a dry pan over medium heat to light brown, grind them in a coffee grinder. Set aside.
Step#4: After the veggies are soft, cooked and a little caramelized, add the ground spices and mix in completely. Then add the beans and enough liquid to make it slightly soupy and wet. Turn the heat down so that the chili simmers uncovered. Once it comes to the desired thickness turn the heat off, and add cilantro and salt to your liking. As with any chili, it’s always better the next day, but this is a recipe that you can serve right away if you like!
Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 1- 1 ½ hours.
Niman Ranch MeatloafServes 6
- 2 ½ pounds ground beef 80/20 or 85/15
- 2 medium yellow onions – chopped fine
- 1 large carrot – chopped fine
- 3 stalks celery – chopped fine
- 1 small bunch green onions – chopped fine
- ½ bunch curly parsley – chopped fine
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1/8 cup whole grain mustard
- 1/8 cup worchestershire
- 1 ½ tablespoon salt
- ½ tablespoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup milk
Glaze - optional
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 2 teaspoon black pepper
Start by adding the milk to the breadcrumbs in a small bowl, stir and set aside. In a large bowl add all the ingredients together, minus the eggs and breadcrumb mixture, and mix using your clean hands. Make sure the ingredients are well incorporated, then add the eggs and breadcrumb mixture and mix in. Mould it to a single large loaf, or individual loaves, and place in the center of a sheet pan lined with parchment and “tented” with foil. Preheat oven to 400 and cook for 45 minutes. Prepare the glaze by mixing all ingredients together. Uncover and cook for another 20 minutes. Lastly, add the glaze if you choose to, and cook for another ten minutes. Remove from oven and let it set for 5 minutes before serving.
Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 1- 1 ½ hours